Pattern Testing; Bluebird Song

Kris from Phoebe Moon Quilt Designs had asked for a couple of testers to check out her new pattern “Bluebird Song”. I have done a few of her QAL’s and patterns so I knew it would be fun. Here’s the link to her patterns.

All I can say is “you need to make this quilt!” To make it easier, Connecting Threads has kitted this quilt and this is the link.

I printed the pattern and read through all of the instructions, grabbed my scrap bin and easily finished the test block.

This year I determined that pattern testing should be done with the fabrics I have in my stash. A few years ago I had been gifted some bright pretty fabrics from a Moda collection (I think) but I don’t know the name. This pattern just told me I needed bright, happy fabric in order to work my way through some things I had going on in my life (besides politics and Covid).

Can you believe I didn’t take a photo of the fabrics before I started?

Once I had my head together I planned and cut my fabrics, needing to be very careful because I only had so much of these fabrics and I knew I would not be able to get more.

This pattern does use 5” squares so I pulled out all of the charm squares in my scrap user system (unused pizza boxes) that would coordinate with these fabrics.

I started piecing and found the pattern to be well written and the instructions were well illustrated and easy to follow.

The blocks work out to be 17 1/2” square when squared up. It makes a wonderful quilt with only 20 blocks.

I took the blocks to my Guild to check my layout. This was laid out first using only one table so I had to put 2 together!

I sewed the blocks together and then started auditioning fabrics for the border. I had just enough of the cream background for the background blocks and had made a mistake when cutting my sashing fabrics so I knew I would need to pull more fabrics in to my palette.

Once I decided what I wanted to do with this quilt top, (sorry Kris, I had to change it) I decided to not add the borders. I am adding a backing to it (no batting), will do some stitch in the ditch to stabilize it, and then assembled it to make a duvet cover with a zipper opening. Where we live we are often subjected to long power outages in the winter so I keep a down duvet on my bed. I’m so happy that next winter I will have a quilt on my bed that I made.

Thanks for stopping by to read my post about another fun testing project. 😉Carol

Published by Carol Andrews

I have been fondling fabric and creating things with fabric and fiber for as long as I can remember. My children had homemade clothes, blankets, canning and quilts most of their lives. Now I create goodies to share! Hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoy making them! When I am not creating with fiber or fabric I keep busy with Dear Heart, kids, grandkids, great grandkids.

11 thoughts on “Pattern Testing; Bluebird Song

  1. Hi Carol! What a pretty project and how great that it is using up your stash! And to imagine that your stash had so many great prints that play well together. The duvet cover is a fabulous idea. I’ll bet you’re almost anxious for the cooler weather to return – not really, but it will be something to look forward to. ~smile~ Roseanne

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply to Carol Andrews Cancel reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: