First I would like to thank Carol Swift of Just Let Me Quilt for hosting another fun blog Hop with such a great theme. I’d also like to thank all of the participants for the great inspiration and the additions to my Must Make List! 😉
I had several ideas for projects that fit the theme for this hop; a project for a guy or in guy colours.
I was hoping to get this quilt finished:
This is a pattern test I did for Becca of Pretty Piney Quilts. (Click on her blog name for the pattern information). The pattern is called Wunderbar and it was such a fun top to make. My plan is to finish it for my oldest great grandson. He loves Minecraft and this quilt fits in with that theme. It will have to wait to be quilted until I get away to the studio for a few days after the wildfire is contained and we are no longer on evacuation alert.
Then I thought I could get another UFO finished on my last trip to the studio. All I managed to get done was get it basted and the stitch in the ditch done around the blocks. This one has double batting and is for a friend who has MS and is now in a wheelchair most of the time. He is sensitive to the cold now just like my DH. The good thing with the horrible heat wave we have had is that our buddy isn’t cold so can wait until I can get back to the studio once the fire is contained.
I really wanted to have a finished project for this Hop so I started pulling strips from my scrap stash. I was getting short on time and had to cope with a reaction to the second shot in the arm and the recurring adventure of having wildfires burning less than 2 miles from my home and being on Evacuation Alert.
For those of you who follow my blog, you know that my DH has MS. He is a sweet gentle man who is addicted to playing golf. When he isn’t playing golf he is indulging his next addiction; watching at least 6 hours of news. This necessitates him spending time in his comfy chair where he managed to continuously lose his collection of remotes so I decided he needed to be more organized.
I started by following my memory of some fun I saw on a blog somewhere (?)
I created a fabric panel by weaving scrappy strips to a square backing panel and pin basting it. I sewed a line 1/4” from the edge just to stabilize the strips. Then I sandwiched it with some stabilizer, batting and a backing fabric. I gave it a good press to set the stabilizer and then sewed around the outside edge after squaring it up to 8 1/2” x 22 1/2”.
I cut another piece of backing fabric 7” x 10” and put a layer of woven strips right side down on top of it. I sewed around the outside edge of the layers of fabric leaving one edge open. I pressed the piece and tucked the open edge to the inside while pressing the edge. I sewed 1/8” from the edge and caught the turned edge of the open end.
I pinned the pocket in place, sewed the edges and added a seam down the middle to make pockets for 2 remotes.
My DH’s chair is a lift recliner so I added a new backing piece 8 1/2” x WOF to the caddy, right sides together, with the excess fabric to one end. I turned the piece right side out, brought the long end back to the front, pressed the edges in and sewed across the backing fabric over the top edge of the caddy to close the pocket I had made by folding the backing fabric back over itself. I added 2 lines of stitching around the edge at 1/8” and 1/4” to give the caddy a finished edge. This made the side of the caddy long enough to go into the space between the seat and arm and won’t shift when he raises or lowers the chair. His remote control for the chair sits just inside the opposite side of the chair to the caddy so he can operate the chair with his right hand while his tv remotes are tucked in the caddy.
I’m thinking I might add some elastic loops to the caddy to keep his phone and iPad charger cords from getting lost under his chair. He’s had an problem with the cords slipping under the chair and getting crushed when he raises/lowers the chair so it just might fix another issue for him. 😉
Then to continue the Guy Theme I started doing some mindless sewing to keep from fretting over the wildfire situation. In between checking for updates on the Provincial Wildfire site, going outside to watch the helicopters and dealing with power outages I started sewing blocks to make quilts for the residents of Lytton. Their town burnt to the ground after only 15 minutes warning to evacuate. I will get the finished tops on the frame once our fire situation is under control and I can travel to the studio.
Here’s the list of bloggers taking part in this Hop. I hope you’ve had a chance to visit them and see what they have created to spark your creativity. Please leave a comment for them to let them know how much you enjoyed seeing their projects and if you enjoy their posts take the time to read some more. If you really enjoy the posts, don’t hesitate to subscribe to their blog. It’s the best compliment you can give them. I know I even found some new to me blogs that I’ve now subscribed to. 😉
Thank you for sharing your time with me. 😉 Carol