Thank you to Carol from Just Let Me Quilt for organizing another fun themed hop for all of us!
Welcome to my stop on the Salt and Sand Blog Hop.
I was coming up with so many different ideas for this hop. Who couldn’t when you start thinking of warm, sunny, sandy beaches and favourite beach side vacations……Cuba, Bermuda, Mexico, the French Rivierra, etc. So many fun times and great memories. Beaches with my kids when they were little and even a couple of trips with the grandkids present 😉. Now we can only remember when, or dream of some day…..
I thought of mini quilts with flip flops, ice cream treats and fun sand toys, beach towels with appliqué or fun beach bags.
I finally settled on another practical project. Then I pulled some fabric from my stash, but had to pick up a couple of extra yards from my favourite LQS when I was there.
I was extra careful when measuring my fabrics because I only had bought a yard of each of the beige, beach themed fabrics. Can you see the fun turtles? One of my fondest memories is seeing those newly hatched baby turtles scrambling down to the water when on vacation.
I lined them when they were done.
Then I started on the body of my case. I made front and backs and lined the pieces with interfacing.
I cut a piece of my old cutting mat to make a sturdy center panel for my case. Alway good to repurpose items when they are worn out 😉
My next part of the project was to create my pockets in specific sizes and attach my Dresden blocks which were sewn along some of the seams in the ditch to create more pockets. I used a white thread in my bobbin to make it easier to see where my interior pockets were sewn. I then made some fun appliqués (sand dollar and star fish) to embellish the design.
Here you have it, my new case to keep my quilting rulers in when I am travelling back and forth to the studio where my longarm is.
Once I had double checked that my pockets were the right size I added my binding. I was lucky and had the perfect scrap piece in the colour I wanted in my scrap bucket of bindings. My last bit of fun was adding Velcro closures to the shell shaped pocket sections.
It was a fun project in spite of having to do so much math to make my fabric work.
Here is my finished case showing the three folds in progression:
I will also share a photo of a panel quilt I recently finished that just fit in perfectly with the theme.
Here is the list of the other bloggers on today’s schedule. They have some great inspiration in their posts today so do check them out.
Thank you for stopping by to read my post. I’d love it if you leave a comment or subscribe to my blog. 😉 Carol