This finish is a real joy to have done. It not only completes a commission, but gets a flimsy off my To Be Quilted/UFO List. I had gone over several patterns and photos of quilts with my customer and his choice was this quilt.
This top was a test pattern I did for The Quilt Pattern Magazine. Harlequin, designed by Nancy Noah, was a round robin and was done over several months. I really enjoyed the pattern and fell in love with the wandering geese border. It was a great way to blend paper piecing with standard piecing.
This is being made into a duvet cover for a commission and I had fun doing some traps to work to lift the central star block and give it some dimension. I stitched in the ditch to attach the top to a backing fabric and added some wool roving to the back of the star.
Next step was to lay the flannel backing out and layer the top on it to make sure my measurements were correct. I added the zipper to the backing using a concealed zipper method.
I laid out the backing and top together, right sides out, and stitched 1/4” around the outside edges. I trimmed the edges to 1/8” and trimmed the corners to remove bulk.
Next step was to turn it inside out and ensure my corners were nicely turned and as flat as possible. I pressed the edges and then sewed it with a 1/4” seam and then added a second row of stitching 1/8” inside the first row of stitching.
I turned it right side out to ensure the French seams enclosed all of the raw edges of the seams. I did a row of top stitching 1/4” from the edge with a favourite variegated Aurifil thread to give the cover a finished look.
Then I popped the duvet in to the washer and dryer. I pressed the duvet cover and put a queen sized duvet in to test drive it.
It was delivered early this week. I have a very satisfied customer and left his home with another order for a summer cover for his duvet to be delivered in May.
Thank you for visiting my blog. I do hope you enjoyed reading of my adventure making my first duvet cover. I worked with no pattern or tutorial so had to use my brain on this one. 😉 Carol